Boy Interrupted

So, what's your diag-nonsense?

Friday, April 11, 2003

Carroll "Gene" Cogle

It's been several days since you've gone
But to a higher place your soul was drawn.

You will be missed in ways that you will never know
You've made me learn more about life and helped me grow.

Always ready to share with April and I a story
You found humor to be your glory.

I know you hurt but you were so strong
It almost had seemed like nothing was wrong.

Sitting there with you and April at the table was great
Just watching you smoke with every puff you'd take.

You knew it was bad of course we all do
But it brought you joy and brought us closer to you.

Please know that you will be truly missed my me
Late night chats over that damned t.v.

You told stories that showed how great you were
Whether it be fishing, smoking, or hunting animals for fur.

I wish that you could still be here with us
But you are in God hands now to he we must trust.

Vic, Amy, Chris, April and I will never forget you
Don't forget about Prince and Precious too.

I wish I could have had more time to spend with you Gene
You were so wonderful, happy, could never be mean.

I woke up this morning thinking of you being so strong
And in my head repeating a song.

I know that it was you who put me back on path
Thanks for talking to God for me so there wouldn't be a wrath.

So to you I say thank you and blow you a kiss
For you are deep in my heart and someone I will truly miss.

Dedicated to Uncle Gene....Although he wasn't a blood relative of mine I still wanted to let him know a couple of things. And for those of you who don't know who Uncle Gene as it was April's oldest uncle who her and I had been spending time with lately.

Although some of the things in this poem probably won't make much sense to you they do to me. I've been going through some rough couple of days. Last night I prayed to God that he would just take me away. I really didn't realize how selfish I was being. What it would do to my parents, friend, family and other loved ones. What was I thinking. This morning I woke up and couldn't stop thinking about Uncle Gene and how strong he was through his whole illness. Then out of the blue I start thinking of Aaliyah's song "Dust youself off and try again." Well to me it was Gene telling me to be strong and that all I have to do is dust myself off and start anew. No matter how bad I ache and hurt that I can always start over. I don't know maybe I'm crazy for thinking this but I'd like to think that Gene was the one telling me this because I saw what he went through for the most part and he was strong. So so strong through the whole cancer thing. I've decided to not let illness get the best of me. Instead of wishing for God to come wisk me away in the night to just have a better mindset. To be thankful that I'm even alive and that I have those people around me that care for me. So this is just a big THANK YOU to Uncle Gene for getting me back on the right path and letting me know that I can be just as strong as him and one day I will be better and free from pain...just like he is now!

I just want to say that even though I wasn't related to you Gene that I had much love for you. I can't help but sit here and cry. I can't imagine how hard this has been on April and her family. I'm sorry that I haven't been much help to you lately April. I hope that you are doing okay. I also wanted to put this in my journal to let you know that I know Gene is with us...I feel like it's almost that he knew what I was going through mentally and he has come to show me that I am a stronger person than my mind is letting me be.

So in my last words to you Uncle Gene are: I love and miss you but also thank you for a new day!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home