Boy Interrupted

So, what's your diag-nonsense?

Friday, March 19, 2004

Unbelieveable

Wednesday night I decided to write to Margaret Cho. Here is the email I sent in response to her writing about Amadou Diallo:

Margaret,

I have visited your site several times and I must say
that this entry made me cry. Being a gay male and
just recently coming out to my family (aside from my
father) I have started to take long hard looks at
things that I once brushed off. I have always been
for racial, gender, sexual equality. I have seen and
experienced so much hate myself that I couldn't
imagine what it would be like if I were not white. I
honestly get sick at the thought of what it must be
like. I have seen "police brutality" toward African
Americans because I was in the car with them. Almost
went to jail for losing my temper with the officers
however, I was never handcuffed or told to get against
the car. My female African American friends however,
were made to do these things. So I just wanted to
tell you that I really appreciate you writing about
Amadou Diallo. It is a story I will make sure to pass
along to friends. And if I'm not being to pushy do
you have any advice for how I could tell my father
about me being gay? This is the last and final step
to me being truly free...honestly. Any advice would
be greatly appreciated. And by the way you are one
hot mama and The Notorious C.H.O. is a staple in my
house.

Much love and again thank you,

Paul

The only thing missing is my last name and address. Anywho, I really didn't think anything of it. You rarely ever hear back from someone who probably gets thousands of emails a day. However, I got an email back:

Hi Paul,

Your beautiful email was forwarded to Margaret and she mentioned you in
her
blog entry today (not by name of course).
http://www.margaretcho.com/blog/blog.htm

Thanks so much for your kind words.

Keri Smith
Cho Taussig Productions, Inc.

This is what she wrote:

A special message to the guy that needs to come out to his homophobic father: Tell him what is happening in Rhea County. Tell him that you are being referred to as 'them.' Ask him if he would consider the boy he raised, his own child, his creation, part of his body, his life, his everything - ask him if he would think of you as less than human because you choose to love someone. Someone who would also be referred to as 'them.' Ask him if he understands that you have the ability to love, that was passed down to you through him, and since he was successful in teaching those difficult lessons, if it would mean any less if you were loving a man?

I am so happy. Not because I was mentioned but the fact that I really really appreciate the advice. Anyway, what is the point of asking advice when you don't follow through with it? I think that it is time. No more hiding, no more running, just me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home